The second June 2009 Other Countries Monthly Writing Workshop will be:
Date & Time: Saturday, June 27th from 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM
LGBT Community Services Center
208 West 13th Street (between 7th & 8th Avenues)
New York, NY 10011
If you plan to present work on June 27th:
- please confirm with Kevin McGruder by Thursday, June 25th at kevmcgr[at]pipeline.com
- bring 8-10 copies of your work for distribution
For those interested, we will go out to dinner afterward at a nearby restaurant.
Below are guidelines for the workshop.
Other Countries Writing Workshop Discussion/Critique Guidelines
The Other Countries Writing Workshop is a peer-facilitated workshop. In order to ensure a supportive atmosphere and to encourage constructive criticism of work please keep the following in mind:
- Before reading their work, writers should introduce it by telling about the FAP (Focus, Audience, and Purpose) for the piece as well as its genre. They should think of specific questions they want answered by the workshop, e.g. “Is this ready for submission to literary journals?” “Does this first chapter pull you into my novel’s story?” “Does this character seem too cardboard or cliché?”
- The moderator will facilitate the discussion/critique of the work
- Participants should:
- address both positives and negatives in the work;
- avoid extraneous “amen-ing” (repeating the comments) of previous speakers;
- avoid personal commentary of the writer and others;
- provide suggestions for further development of the work, etc.